I discovered one of San Diego’s greatest gems today – the new San Diego Central Library. I realize I’m a little late to the party given the Library celebrates its first anniversary this weekend, but until now my schedule just didn’t permit the formal tour.
I signed up on the Library website for a guided tour, which takes place on Wednesday’s at 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. I was met by a former librarian, and now volunteer, Mike, who was extremely knowledgeable of the facility. The hour-long tour had us tromping all over the 500,000 sq ft facility. The Central Library is a flurry of activity, and hardly resembles the libraries of my youth that required whispering like in a yoga studio. Across the 9 floors within the library (2 are dedicated to a charter high school), you find wonderful resources in every nook and cranny. A few highlights:
1. The Central Library has a collection of over 10,000 rare books; which will be displayed in a dedicated book museum in the future.
2. Visitors can search their family lineage by visiting the genealogy department and using the free subscription to Ancestry.com.
3. Have something 3D you want printed? Head to the free 3D printers on the 8th floor.
4. Art lover? The docent’s give tours to highlight the on-site art museum and the collections spread throughout the building.
5. The dome covering the Library is the largest in North America.
6. They have a mini health clinic inside the Library for blood pressure checks, weight management and health-related workshops.
7. Are you a teenager and want space from your parents? Check out the Teens Only section where only visitors 12-18 can visit – no grown ups allowed!
8. The new Central Library is the most technologically advanced and largest public library in the country.
9. The event space at the Central Library makes me drool! The views are amazing!!!
I highly recommend you taking time to visit a great gift to the San Diego community. This weekend they will have a 1st anniversary celebration, Saturday, September 27th from 10:30 – 2:30 p.m. – the public is welcome.
Of course, I couldn’t leave without getting a new Library Card, which to my delight now comes in 6 different colors. Welcome to my wallet, pretty little teal-colored library card!