As we dive head first into the craziness of the holiday season, there is a subset of men who are starting to get nervous about popping the question. While the focus is on holiday decor, shopping, gift wrapping and holiday parties for most of us, these men are thinking about the when, where and how they are going to pledge their love while presenting a sparkling ring! Cue the nerves and insecurity!
November and December account for 26 percent of marriage proposals so we are full-fledged into the World Series of engagements! If you have the “big ask” in your immediate plans, here are 5 ways to make it a memory worthy moment!
- KNOW YOUR BELOVED – Before you set out to create the ultimate proposal, stop and think about her personality. Just because you think asking her via a scoreboard and the kiss cam screams romance, it might be far too public for her. More than likely, your love will want something more private or romantic. Think about where you shared your first kiss, date or a fun memory as a couple. You’ll score far more points on the romance scale if you put some thought into the special places reminiscent of your relationship.
- ASK PERMISSION – I realize that women are waving the feminist flag these days and the tradition of asking for her hand in marriage seems outdated, but there is something very special about asking her father or family for her hand. Even if she comes from a Jerry Springer dysfunctional family, or she is a fiercely independent woman, more than likely she has someone in her life that she would like you to commiserate with. Ask her sister, her brother, that special uncle or even her best friend; going through the motions of declaring your intentions will create a memory she will cherish. It also shows that you understand you marry a family; not just the girl.
- SPARKLE – Choosing the right ring can be very stressful because budget can have a huge impact on the cut, color, clarity, and carat. When deciding on which sparkler you will purchase, reach out to her inner circle. This is where calling on her sister or best friend is crucial. More than likely she has told her girls what style of ring she would want; she might have even said that she doesn’t want anything flashy because she would want the two of you to use that money to travel the world. And when it comes time to make the purchase, realize that someone in your inner circle has a contact at the diamond mart or with a broker; so don’t be shy about asking!
- CAPTURE THE MOMENT – Whether you are planning an over-the-top proposal or are going to surprise her during a walk on the beach, invest in a photographer to capture the moments. Your girl will LOVE that you thought enough about the proposal and hired a photographer. Many photographers are well skilled in proposals, so they can be discreet as you build up to the big ask! Give her the gift of something other than the selfie is bound to take 5 microseconds after you slip the ring on her finger!
- BE IN THE MOMENT – No doubt you will be rehearsing the exact lines you want to say as you go down on bended knee. It’s great to give this important moment lots of thought, but don’t forget you are a human! Being a rehearsed robot, will not make the moment authentic. It’s perfectly fine if you forget a line, or you stumble. Realize, ff you start crying, you are no less of a man! All that matters is that she knows you love her, and you have chosen her for the rest of your life! So be you, and be completely in the moment!
An engagement concierge can help you put the final touches on this very special day! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to say “yes” to planning!